The MOOC “Addressing Global Citizenship Education through Digital Storytelling” provides cutting-edge training in a constructive and participatory way. It has been developed in the framework of the European project BRIGHTS , co-funded by the Erasmus+ Programme of the European Union. The MOOC contents and platform have been developed by Maks vzw, Guglielmo Marconi University and Hellenic Open University under the coordination of All Digital from Belgium.
The BRIGHTS MOOC will be delivered in Belgium, Croatia, Greece and Italy by the following organisations:
- Maks vzw (Belgium)
- Centre of Technical Culture Rijeka (CTC Rijeka) (Croatia)
- Hellenic Professionals Informatics Society (HePIS)(Greece)
- Centro Studi Foligno (CSF) (Italy)
During this 4-week online course, trainees will gain a thorough understanding of how to design and apply the Story Circle Methodology to implement Global Citizenship Education (GCE) using Digital Storytelling (DS) technique with young people both in schools and in non-formal educational contexts. The MOOC responds to crucial training needs that are emerging among young people, such as intercultural and cross-cultural skills, critical thinking, collaborative and project-based learning, creativity and digital literacy. Course participants will acquire the knowledge needed to meet the global challenges emerging in contemporary society, including sustainable development and lifestyle, social inclusion and cultural diversity, gender equality, peace and human rights, active citizenship and democracy, and learn how to engage young people in the production of digital stories on these challenges.
Who is the BRIGHTS MOOC for?
The course addresses the needs of individuals having diverse educational backgrounds who share the enthusiasm for implementing Global Citizenship Education using Digital Storytelling with young people both in formal and non-formal educational contexts. During the project, the course is specifically targeted to secondary school teachers and trainers working with young people aged 13-19 coming from the four project countries (Belgium, Italy, Croatia and Greece).
Which topics will you cover?
- Theoretical and policy framework of GCE
- Background information on the main GCE goals
- How to support GCE through DS in formal and non-formal educational settings with young people
- How to facilitate the development of 21st century skills using DS
- The Story Circle Methodology (SCM)
- How to produce a digital story to achieve GCE goals
- How to effectively share the digital stories about GCE goals
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you'll be able to:
- Identify diverse understandings of the concept of Global Citizenship
- Examine the different goals within GCE
- Compare the GCE practices in EU countries
- Analyze current global issues within the framework of the major GCE goals
- Explore the potential of DS as a method to cope with GCE
- Apply the Story Circle Methodology in formal and non-formal education
- Use specific digital tools to introduce the GCE topics
- Empower the development of 21st skills among the students
- Create a storyboard of your story on a GCE topic
- Create relevant materials for your digital story (images, voice, music, sounds, texts, titles)
- Collect relevant materials for your digital story (images, voice, music, sounds, texts, titles) on different media
- Identify licensing modes and select free material on the web
- Actively participate in an online learning community
What is the duration of the BRIGHTS MOOC?
The duration of the MOOC “Addressing Global Citizenship Education through Digital Storytelling” is 4 weeks and requires in total 20 hours of learning. Each week provides training on a specific module and requires approximately 5 hours of study. At the completion of the course participants will receive a certificate of attendance. The MOOC is free of charge.
It will be delivered for the first time in 5th March 2018 to participants from Belgium, Italy, Croatia and Greece, in Dutch, Italian, Croatian, Greek. The MOOC contents will be available in English as well.
For more information about the course in your country, please contact the National Coordinator:
- BELGIUM: Jochem Devens firstname.lastname@example.org
- CROATIA: Hana Galogaza email@example.com
- GREECE: Konstantinos Papavramidis firstname.lastname@example.org
- ITALY: Altheo Valentini email@example.com
To access the MOOC, click here!